PortsToronto oversees the Port and Harbour of Toronto. The TPA also owns and operates Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport and Outer Harbour Marina.

TPA is responsible for facilitating the safe, shared use of the harbour and ensuring safe navigation.

As part of its stewardship of the harbour, the Port Authority provides authorizations for activities that occur in, on, over, under, through or across the waters in its jurisdiction by way of Harbour Master Authorizations. Please contact the Harbour Master's Office at 416-462-3937 for more information

Activities that require authorization include:

  • Marine events
  • Construction
  • Diving
  • Filming

See sections 23, 25 and 27 and Schedule 1, Part 15 of the Port Authorities Operations Regulations for more information.

Applying for authorization

Download and complete the form(s) in the Apply section for the activity/event that requires authorization. If you have questions you can contact the call the Harbour Master's Office at (416) 462-3937.

Submitting an application

The Toronto Port Authority provides applicants two submission options:

  1. Fax to 416-462-1612
  2. Submit in person

Paying for an application

Applications can be paid for by cheque or credit card. The Harbour Master's office accepts Visa, MasterCard and debit. Applicants who would like to use their credit card must call 416-462-3937 and provide their credit card number to make a payment. Cheques should be made payable to "Toronto Port Authority".

Boaters Notice

PortsToronto is responsible for keeping the Toronto Harbour safe and navigable. See Boater’s Notices about everything from swimming in the harbour to obtaining permission for a marine event.

Do you have one?

A Power Vessel Operator’s Permit is required to operate a powered vessel in the Port and Harbour of Toronto.

Get permit